Since no operating system is perfect, it’s always going to give us some kind of problems. It’s either your Mac not starting, No Camera Available or dealing with Bluetooth issues. But, what if in this case, it’s your Mac’s camera that for some reasons has stopped working?
There’s no need to panic; there are methods you can try that will hopefully fix that ¨No camera available¨ issue. The next time you need to use FaceTime or PhotoBooth, you won’t have to deal with those dreadful words.
Eliminate No Camera Available for Mac
- Close any apps that require the use of the camera
- Open a terminal. You can do this by going to Launchpad > Terminal
- When Terminal is open type: sudo killall VDCAssistant
- Open the app you were trying to use before, and your camera should be up and running now
This trick will the majority of the time since it will force close the app that was not closed properly and is hogging your resources. Since the app that needed to access your camera was not closed properly, it will prevent other apps that also need to access your camera from doing so.
Since the app that needed to access your camera was not closed properly, it will prevent other apps that also need to access your camera from doing so.
Use The Activity Monitor App
- Close any apps that need to use your camera
- Through the /Applications/Utilities folder, open the Activity Monitor app
- Click on the top left column where it will say ¨Process Name¨to put the list in alphabetical order
- Find VDC Assistant in the list and click on it
- Click on the X icon on the top left to close the process
- When you see the confirmation dialog, click on Force Quit
Reset NVRAM to Fix Camera Error on Mac
- Shut down your Mac
- Unplug the power and wait for about 20 seconds or so
- Turn your Mac back on
- Before the gray screen appears, immediately press Option + Command + P + R at the same time
- Keep pressing them until you hear the startup chime.
Our Mac’s camera is going to give us problems sooner or later. It’s something you can’t prevent and will just have to deal with it when it comes along.
So, when those problems come up, you’ll have this handy tutorial to help you out. Did I miss a trick that you use to help fix the camera issue on Mac? If so, share your trick in the comments below.